Generic Acular or Ketorolac belong to the group of medicine known as anti-inflammatory drugs. This medicine provides relieve from eye-pain, burning and stinging that can be noticed after corneal refractive surgery. Generic Acular or Ketorolac functions by blocking prostaglandin, a natural substance, in the body that help in reducing the pain and swelling.
Generic Acular or Ketorolac contain 0.5 % ketorolac tromethamine as active ingredient, Chemically, it is designated as (±)-5-Benzoyl-2, 3-dihydro-1H pyrrolizine-1-carboxylic acid compound with 2-amino-2-(hydroxymethyl)-1,3-propanediol (1:1). It appears as white to off-white crystalline substance that gets discoloured when exposed to light for long time. This has a molecular weight of 376.41.
Generic Acular or Ketorolac contain 0.01 % benzalkonium chloride as preservative. In addition to this, it also contains various inactive ingredients such as 0.1 % edetate disodium, purified water, sodium chloride, octoxynol 40, sodium hydroxide/ hydrochloric acid, etc.
Generic Acular or Ketorolac should be stored at room temperature that lies between 15-25 degree centigrade. The medicine should be kept away from the reach of child and pet. The patient should discard the medicine if they observe change in the colour, become cloudy or particles are seen in it.
In case, the patient misses any dose, then they should take it as soon as they remember about it. However, if it is time for the next scheduled dose, then the patient should skip the missed dose and take the regular dose. In any case, the patient should not use the medicine in more amount as it might lead to problem due to overdose.
Write Your Own Review
Generic Acular or Ketorolac should be applied to the operated eye generally four times in a day.
Before applying the medicine, the user should wash their hands properly. The patient should not touch the tip of the dropper, to avoid contamination.
The patient, if using contact lens, should remove it before applying the medicine.
To use the medicine, the patient should tilt their head back, look forward and lower eyelid is pulled down so that a pouch shaped structure is formed. Then the dropper is hold over the eye and one drop is placed into the pouch. Then the patient should look downward and the eyes are closed for 1-2 minutes. The figure is placed at the corner of the eye and pressure is applied gently that help in preventing the medicine from coming out.
The patient should replace the cap of the dropper after every use. This medicine should be used up to 4 days after eye surgery.
The patient might suffer from side effects after using generic Acular or Ketorolac such as:
- Redness of eye
- Eye swelling
- Eye discharge
- Change in vision
- Eye pain
- Bleeding inside eye
- Allergic reaction
- Before using this medicine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to this medicine or any other medicine such as aspirin, ibuprofen, celecoxib, etc.
- The medicine contains various inactive ingredients that might cause allergic reaction in some of the user. Proper care should be taken.
- If the patient is suffering from aspirin-sensitive asthma, then they should tell to the doctor before using the medicine.
- In case, the patient is having medical record of bleeding problem, eye surgery, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, nasal polyps, etc. then they should tell to the doctor prior using the medicine.
- The medicine might enter in to the breast milk of the nursing mother and can harm the neonate. Therefore, pregnant and breast-feeding patient should consult to the doctor before using the medicine.
- The medicine changes the vision of the patient for some time. Therefore, work that needs alertness should be avoided by the patient.