Generic Adapin or Doxepin is a medicine that belongs to the class of drug known as tricyclic antidepressant. The medicine is used for treating depression and anxiety.
Other medicine of the same class includes:
- Amitriptyline (Elavil)
- Nortriptyline (Pamelor)
- Desipramine (Norpramin)
Depression, in other words can be defined as pervasive sense of sadness and gloom. Depression might occur due to the imbalance in the level of neurotransmitter that is present in the brain. Neurotransmitter is a chemical that is utilized by the nerve for communication with other nerves. Some of the neurotransmitter that is affected by Doxepin is serotonin, norepinephrine, acetylcholine and histamine. The medicine might improve the mood by raising the level of serotonin and norepinephrine. This works by blocking the activity of histamine and acetylcholine. Generic Adapin got approved from FDA in March 1974.
Nursing mother should always consult to the doctor for using this medicine. This is beneficial for the health of the neonates.
The patient should reduce the dose gradually when they discontinue the therapy else they might suffer from withdrawal symptoms such as dizziness, headache, nausea, etc.
Generic Adapin is formulated by various Pharmaceutical companies, located at different geographical locations which include Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States of America. It is available in the market under different brand names such as Deptran, Sinequan, Prudoxin.
The active ingredient present in it is doxepin hydrochloride. It has a molecular weight of 316 and C19H21NO•HCl is the molecular formula. This appears as white crystalline solid that is soluble in water, chloroform and lower alcohol.
Chemically, it is known as 1-Propanamine, 3-dibenz[b,e]oxepin-11(6H)ylidene-N,N-dimethyl-, hydrochloride.
The various inactive ingredients present in generic Adapin includes magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulphate, starch, Yellow 10, Red 40, Blue 1, Red 3, glycerine, methylparaben, water, etc.
Mechanism of action:
Generic Adapin functions by increasing the activity of certain chemical such as acetylcholine and serotonin is known as neurotransmitter, present in the brain, This chemical called serotonin, elevates the mood and thus provide relief to the user.
Write Your Own Review
The patient should take generic Adapin thrice in a day. The normal recommended dose varies from 75mg to 300 mg every day that depends on the severity of the patient’s condition. The patient can feel the changes after 2-3 weeks of medicine intake.
Patient with mild to moderate illness should take tablet of generic Adapin 75 mg per day to 150 mg per day.
If the condition of the patient is very severe then a slight higher dose can be given. The patient can use dose up to 300 mg per day.
Some of the side effects that the patient might suffer after the intake of generic Adapin are:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain/ weight loss
- Urinary retention
- Suicidal thinking
- Change in mood
- Panic attack
- Increased sweating
- Fast heart rate
- Skin rash
- Muscle weakness
Some of the drugs that might interact with generic Adapin are:
- St. John’s Wort
- Patient suffering from glaucoma or problem with urine should not take generic Adapin or Doxepin.
- The patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to this medicine or any other medicine or same class.
- Sometimes the inactive ingredient present in the medicine might also cause allergic reaction in some of the user. Therefore, the user should check all the ingredient present in the tablet properly before taking it.
- If the patient is suffering from problem such as sleep apnea, diabetes, bipolar disorder, manic-depression, then they should tell to the doctor prior taking the medicine.
- The medicine should not be given to the child without consulting to the doctor else it might cause serious health problem.
- Pregnant patient and nursing mother should always consult to the doctor and discuss the risk and benefit of using this medicine.
- In case, the patient has any medical history of bleeding problem, breathing problem, liver problem, heart attack, hyperthyroidism, problem in urination, eye problem, etc. then they should reveal to this to the doctor.
- Generic Adapin might make the patient feel dizziness and can also lead to blurred vision. Therefore, the work that requires high alertness such as driving vehicle or operating machine should be avoided by the user of the medicine.