Generic Alphagan or Brimonidine is an ophthalmic solution that is used to treat glaucoma, open-angle glaucoma. In case of open-angle glaucoma, excess fluid is made inside the eye and this result in high pressure inside the eye. Due to high pressure nerve gets damaged in the eye that leads to problem with vision, even blindness.
Generic Alphagan is also known to reduce the production of aqueous humor and this increases its flow out of eyes, decreases pressure. This process is carried out with the help of alpha type 2 receptor especially in the eye and has less effect on the alpha type 2 receptors that is present in the body anywhere else. FDA has approved this medicine in 1996, the first drug to be used for glaucoma.
Generic Alphagan contains brimonidine tartarate as active ingredients. Chemically, it is represented as 5-bromo-6-(2-imidazolidinylideneamino) quinoxaline L-tartrate. This has a molecular weight of 442.24. This ophthalmic solution appears as greenish-yellow in color.
Generic Alphagan contains various inactive ingredients such as sodium borate, boric acid, sodium carboxy methyl cellulose, sodium chloride, calcium chloride, potassium chloride, purified water, etc. In addition to this, it also contain preservative such as 0.005 % purite.
Generic Alphagan might also interact with some other medicine such as atenolol, timodol, digoxin, diazepam, etc.
Generic Alphagan should be used at room temperature. The patient should check the expiry date of medicine before using it. This medicine should be kept away from the reach of child and pet.
For better effect, the patient should never miss their dose. In case, the patient misses the dose, they should skip the missed dose and take the regular scheduled dose, by the time they remember about it.
Write Your Own Review
Generic Alphagan should be used one drop into the affected eye thrice in a day with an interval of 8 hours.
The patient should wash their hand properly before using this medicine. To avoid the chances of contamination, the patient should not touch the tip of the dropper. In addition to this, contact lens, if used, should be removed by the patient before applying the medicine.
Generic Alphagan might cause side effects in some of the patient. However, not all the patient will suffer from side effects. Some of the side effects are:
- Dry eyes
- Redness in eye
- Blurred vision
- Irritation in eye
- Swelling in the eyelid
- Corneal staining
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Low blood pressure
- Dry mouth
- Irregular heartbeat
- Allergic reaction
- Before applying generic Alphagan, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to this medicine or any ingredient of the medicine.
- In case the patient has any medical history of blood vessel disease, blood circulation disorder, depression, severe heart disease, disease related to kidney, liver, Raynaud’s disease, low blood pressure, etc. they should explain to the doctor.
- The medicine makes the patient feel dizzy or drowsy. Therefore, the patient should not drive vehicle or operate machine or any other work that requires alertness.
- The patient should limit the intake the alcohol or alcoholic beverages.
- Nursing patient and pregnant patient should consult to the doctor before using this medicine.