This medicine is used to relieve from the withdrawal symptoms of Nicotine by altering the levels of chemicals which are present in the brain. It contains Bupropion as its main active pharmaceutical ingredient. This is a medicament which comes under the category of anti-depressants and is an extended-release form that brings down the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. It does not have nicotine. This drug acts on chemicals present in the brain that are linked to nicotine desire. This drug should be stored away from the reach of children and domestic animals. The temperature required to store this medicament is 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F).
How does Drug Work?
Zyban - Bupropion works by doing alteration in the level of some chemicals which are present in the brain (known as neurotransmitters). This gives the impression to ease the withdrawal symptoms that an individual gets when he stops smoking (symptoms are: Anxiety, feeling of restlessness, severe headaches, a feeling of irritability, hunger, difficulty in focusing, or just feeling horrific).
What is the Dosage of Zyban-Bupropion?
The Dose of Zyban-Bupropion Depends upon various factors such as: Body weight and medical condition of an individual, it may change from person to person.
The primary dose is 150 mg once in a day (either in the morning or in the evening); target dose is 150 mg (morning and evening) two times a day; maximum dose is 200 mg (morning and evening) two times a day. Extended release tablets are meant to take once in a day.
Directions for Use: Patient’s instructions for proper use of zyban-Bupropion along with each of its packages.
What are the indications of Zyban-Bupropion?
It is indicated in case of smoking cessation treatment.
What are the Contraindications of Zyban-Bupropion?
Zyban-Bupropion is contraindicated in patients who are having following medical conditions:
- It is not given to patients who are suffering from eating disorders such as Bulimia and Anorexia. (Bulimia- it is a disorder associated with the consumption of large amount of food in the short time period. Anorexia- it is a Syndrome associated inappropriate eating habits.)
- This medicine is inadvisable for those who are sensitive to any one of its ingredients.
- Zyban-Bupropion is contraindicated in those patients having convulsion problems.
What are the Side Effects of Zyban-Bupropion?
These below listed side effects are very rare in nature. Only 1- 2% cases are reported.
Ask your doctor/pharmacist if you exhibit some of these major side effects:
- Swelling of various facial parts such as Lips, Tongue or throat.
- Pain in abdomen.
- Facing problem in passing stool.
- Dryness of mouth
- Gradually changes in body weight.
- Confusion state
- Severe headaches.
Discontinue this medicine if following conditions appear:
- Complicated skin reactions such as blistering.
- Difficulty in breathing.
Listed side effects of zyban-Bupropion are not complete.
What are the Medications which are known to interact with of zyban-Bupropion?
Zyban-Bupropion is known to interact with following medicines:
(Below Mentioned list is not complete. Consult your doctor before taking zyban-Bupropion)
How should you store Zyban-Bupropion?
It should be stored in an air tight container. Guard it from the sunlight and moisture. The storage temperature is 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F). Do not take zyban-Bupropion after its expiry date shown as “EXP” on the label or box.
REMEMBER: This medicine has been prescribed for you by your doctor. DO NOT give this medicine to anyone without a prescription.
What are points you should keep in mind before taking Zyban-Bupropion?
A Few points before taking Zyban-Bupropion are:
- You are expecting a child.
- Breast feeding Mothers.
- Injury to head or spinal cord.
- Any medicament without prescription for weight reduction.
- Drug that contains methylene blue.
COMMUNICATE YOUR DOCTOR/PHARMACIST BEFORE STARTING TO TAKE THIS MEDICAMENT.
What should be done in case of Missed Dose?
Missing a dose of your medicine will affect the treatment. Don’t take double dose. Tell your doctor in this situation.
What should be done in case of Over Dose?
Call to poison control center or crisis room quickly.
Write Your Own Review
Initially, Generic Zyban or Bupropion should be given 150 mg once in a day. Based on the condition of the patient, this dose can be increased to 300 mg that is 150 mg is given twice in a day. 300 mg is the maximum dose in a day that can be given to the patient.
Some of the side effects that the patient might get after the intake of Generic Zyban include:
- Fast heartbeat
- Swollen glands
- Rashes on skin
- Dry mouth
- The patient should not take generic Zyban in case they are allergic to this medicine or have any other allergy.
- The inactive ingredient also causes allergic reaction in some of the patient. Hence, the patient should give proper care during its use.
- If the patient is taking any other medicine any prescribed or non-prescribed medicine, then they should tell to the doctor so that the dose for the medicine can be given accordingly.
- In case, the patient has any seizure disorder, anorexia, etc. then they reveal about this to the doctor before taking the medicine.
- The patient, if have any medical history such as head injury, seizure, spinal cord tumour, heart disease, high blood pressure, liver or kidney disease, bipolar disorder, then they should tell to the doctor prior taking the medicine.
- Generic Zyban might pass to the breast milk of the breast-feeding patient. Therefore, such nursing mother should discuss the risk and benefit of using this medicine.