Generic Celexa is known as antidepressant medicine that is responsible for affecting neurotransmitter. The medicine belongs to the class of medicine known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Neurotransmitter are manufactured and released by the nerves and then they travel and gets attached to the surrounding nerves.
The medicine functions by the prevention of the uptake of serotonin by the nerve cells after it has been released. Since uptake is an important mechanism for removing released neurotransmitters and terminating their actions on adjacent nerves, the reduced uptake caused by citalopram results in more free serotonin in the brain to stimulate nerve cells. FDA has approved this medicine in July 1998.
Generic Celexa is available in the market under various trade names such as Citalopram, Cipramil, etc. It is manufactured by different pharmaceutical companies located at various geographical locations.
Generic Celexa contains citalopram HBr that is chemically known as (±)-1-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-1-(4-fluorophenyl)-1,3-dihydroisobenzofuran-5- carbonitrile, HBr. This has a molecular weight of 405.35 and molecular formula is C20H22BrFN2O.
The different inactive ingredient present in the medicine include copolyvidone, corn starch, crosscarmellose sodium, glycerin, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol and titanium dioxide.
Write Your Own Review
Generic Celexa might lead to side effect after the intake of medicine such as:
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
- Easy bleeding
- Changes in sexual ability
- Irregular heartbeat
- Black stool
- Loss of coordination
- Severe vomiting
- Twitching muscle
- Before taking generic Celexa, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to it. The inactive ingredient might also lead to allergic reaction in some of the patient. Hence, proper precaution should be taken by the patient.
- Prior taking this medicine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they have medical record of manic-depressive disorder, liver disease, seizure, low sodium in the blood, intestinal ulcer, peptic ulcer disease, bleeding problem, etc.
- The medicine makes the patient drowsy and also lead to blurred vision. Hence, driving vehicle or machine operation work should be avoided.
- If the patient is taking any prescribed, non-prescribed medicine or herbal medicine then they should tell to the doctor before taking the medicine.
- During pregnancy, the medicine might pass to the breast milk of the patient and can harm the neonates. Therefore, patient should consult to the doctor in such cases.