Cetirizine hydrochloride (Zyrtec) is generally indicated to manage cold and allergy signs that are frequently observed at the time of season change. In such condition patient may get symptoms such as cold, stuffy nose, irritation in nose, runny nose, recurrent sneezing, or watery eyes. Cetirizine Hydrochloride is also prescribed to handle hives or urticaria and other allergic inflammatory medical conditions under supervision of a doctor. This drug may be used in patients who are older than 6 years of age.
Cetirizine works as the active content of the medicine in Zyrtec. It is classified as a non-sedating antihistamine.
Zyrect shows its healing effect on seasonal allergies like condition by blocking the action of histamine (H-1) receptors on cells which is the basic cause of the allergies. Histamine is a natural chemical that is released by adrenal glands in body that is responsible for symptoms of allergic responses, for example, swelling of the lining of the nose, sneezing, and itchy eyes. Certirizine blocks this chain be blocking the receptors of histamine (the H1 receptor) in the cells and thus prevents activation of H1 receptor-containing cells that creates responses of allergic reaction.
Zyrect is a non-sedative antihistamine that means it is less probable to cause drowsiness in patients using it. Other drugs of the same class include loratadine (Claritin), fexofenadine (Allegra) and azelastine (Astelin). This medicine is available different forms such as tablet, chewable tablet, liquid-filled capsule, and syrup. The FDA recognized in September 1996 as an anti-allergic drug.
» Hypersensitivity to any of the medicine ingredient
» Children younger than 6 years of age
Most Common Side Effect
» Dry mouth
» Sore throat
- Tag along to your treatment for recommended duration.
- Inform your prescriber about your current health condition especially, if you have existing or history of any disease or long term illness.
- Inform your prescriber if you have any food allergies or hypersensitivities to any medicine.
- Use only the recommended dosages for a limited period of time, overdose or taking extra doses may interfere the ultimate target result of health gain.
- Keep your all medication away from moisture and direct sunlight. Store all medication at a cool, dry place and away from the reach of children and pets.
Cetirizine hydrochloride (Zyrtec) is effective medicine for relieving sneezing, itchy eyes, runny nose, and extra allergy symptoms. The drug is also useful for the treatment of itching due to hives, whether they are caused by allergies or not. This medicine is available in the form of tablets, chewable tablets, liquid-filled capsules, and syrup, and it should be taken one time a day. Cetirizine Hydrochloride is an antihistamine. Antihistamines put off sneezing, runny nose, itching and watering of the eyes, and allergic symptoms too. Cetirizine Hydrochloride is used to treat allergies, hives (urticaria), and other allergic inflammatory conditions. Cetirizine is related to the group of medications recognized as non-sedating antihistamines, which means that it is less expected to cause drowsiness. It is also permitted to treat itching due to hives, which may or may not be caused by allergies. Adults and children over 6 years of age should take not more than 10 mg of cetirizine dihydrochloride daily. You must discuss with your doctor first before using this medicine.
Write Your Own Review
- Generally, patients are recommended with 5 to 10 mg dose to be taken daily depending on the severity of symptoms.
- In case of chewable tablets, you don’t need water, just chew the tablet and then swallow. If you are suggested to have rapidly-dissolving tablet, put your tablet in mouth and let it dissolve on the tongue and then you can easily swallow it with or without water.
- In form your doctor if you don’t observe any significant improvement in your symptoms in the 3 days of treatment. In case you are condition gets worsen or hives remains for more than 6 weeks, get medical help right away.
Some comparatively common side effects with Zyrtec include:
- dry mouth
- sore throat
In most of the cases this side effects are of less severe kind and improve with time. Patient is required to do not ignore any unusual symptoms that have started after taking this treatment and meet their doctor to solve all queries. Some very rare but severe nature side effects including difficulty urinating, unusual weakness are also reported with Zyrtec.
In case of an allergic reaction to the drug, patient may get following symptoms:
- low blood pressure
- itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat)
- severe dizziness
- trouble breathing
In any of the above allergic symptoms occur, stop taking Zyrtec and consult your doctor right away.
Prior initiating treatment with cetirizine, let your doctor if you have any of the following medical conditions:
Allergies or sensitivities to hydroxyzine, levocetirizine, or to any other content of the drug,
Any severe health condition associated with critical organs of the body such as kidney or liver,
Patients using this medication as a treatment for hives, should use this drug with caution and if symptoms like abnormal hives or hives that seems blistered or hives without itching appears, contact your doctor right away.
This drug is linked with drowsiness so be attentive while doing activities that needs mental alertness such as driving or keep yourself away from such activities in the initial days of treatment till you are not used to with medicine effects.
Lower your consumption of alcoholic beverages to the minimum limit or better to avoid it till you continue this drug.
If you are diabetic, ask your doctor about using this medicine safely.
During pregnancy and lactation, the use of this medication is not declared as safe. Take this drug only if it is required actually after permission of your doctor.