Generic Desyrel or Trazodone is an antidepressant that affects the neurotransmitter present in the brain and is utilized by the nerves for communication with each other. Some of the neurotransmitters are acetylcholine, norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin.
Due to imbalance in the neurotransmitter, depression is caused. The medicine improves the symptoms of depression by the inhibition of serotonin uptake by the nerves in the brain. This in turn results in more serotonin to stimulate other nerves.
Furthermore, the medicine is also known to increase the action of serotonin. Being selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, this medicine is chemically related to nefazodone. Generic Desyrel or Trazodone gor approval from FDA in 1982.
Generic Desyrel contain trazodone hydrochloride as active ingredient that is chemically designated as 2-[3-[4-(3-chlorophenyl)-1-piperazinyl]propyl]-1,2,4- triazolo[4,3-a]pyridin-3(2H)-one hydrochloride. This appears as white, odourless and crystalline powder in appearance. It is freely soluble in water and has a molecular weight of 408.3.
Generic Desyrel contains various inactive ingredients present in it include microcrystalline cellulose, FD&C Yellow #6, magnesium stearate, pregelatinized starch, stearic acid, etc.
Write Your Own Review
The various side effects that the patient might suffer after the intake of the medicine include:
- Blurred vision
- Stuffy nose
- Dry mouth
- Muscle pain
- Change in weight
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Ringing in the ear
- Persistent sore throat
- Fast heartbeat
- Allergic reaction
- Prior taking Trazodone, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to this medicine or have any other allergy.
- Sometimes the inactive ingredient might also cause lead to allergic reactions in some of the user of the medicine. Therefore, caution should be taken by the patient.
- If the patient has any medical history of any disease recent heart attack, bipolar disorder heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, blood pressure problem, etc. then the patient should tell to the doctor before taking the medicine.
- The medicine makes the patient feel dizziness and also leads to blurred vision in some cases. Therefore, work that needs alertness such as machine operation, driving vehicle, etc. should be avoided by the patient during the treatment with this medicine.
- The patient should limit the intake of alcoholic beverages when taking the medicine.
- Pregnant patient and nursing mother should consult to the doctor as the medicine might pass to the breast milk of the patient and harm the infant.