Generic Efudex cream or flurouracil is used to treat skin infections such as rapid multiplication of cells as in skin cancer, etc. DNA is required for new cells, for division, that should be produced by cells. DNA plays a vital role in the activity of the cells. The production of DNA is based on the production of RNA. RNA acts as messenger during the production of DNA.
Generic Efudex works by inhibiting formation of RNA and this in turns inhibits the formation of DNA. This stops the cells from multiplication.
Furthermore, generic Efudex is used to treat actinic keratosis, Bowen’s disease, solar keratosis, superficial basal cell carcinoma, etc. Additionally, the medicine also known for treating genital psoriasis, skin infection, genital wart, etc. This medicine is effective on face and scalp and shows best result as compared to the other areas of the body when applied. Generic Efudex works by destroying the sun-damaged skin cells and thus makes the skin smooth. The medicine got approval from FDA in July 1970.
Write Your Own Review
Generic Efudex should be applied once or twice per day. The user should wash their hand properly after applying the medicine. Before using the cream, the patient should wash the affected area with plenty of water. This cream should be rubbed gently using fingertip.
Some patient might experience side effects after the use of this medicine such as:
- Burning sensation
- Severe stinging
- Lightening of skin
- Persistent white marks
- Prior using Efudex, the patient should explain to the doctor if they are allergic to this cream. The medicine contains various inactive ingredients that might lead to allergic reaction in some of the user. Therefore, the user of the cream should read all the instructions and ingredients present in the cream before applying it.
- The patient, if has any medical record of infected sore present on skin or any other problem of skin, then they should tell to the doctor prior using the medicine.
- Before applying the medicine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are suffering from any enzyme deficiency problem.
- The patient should apply sunscreen or moisturizer to the treated area while going outdoors.
- Use of any other cream, ointment or lotion is not advisable when the treatment with this medicine is carried out.
- Nursing mother and breast-feeding patient should discuss the risk and benefit of using this medicine.