Generic Elavil or Amitriptyline is an antidepressant medicine. Depression is a state of mind where pervasive sense of sadness and gloom occurs. A person suffers from depression when there is abnormal level of neurotransmitter occurs in the brain of the patient. Neurotransmitters are the chemical that is used by the nerve for communication between each other. Now this generic Elavil or Amitriptyline works by elevating the mood by increasing the level of neurotransmitter in the nerves of the brain. FDA has approved this medicine in May 1983.
Generic Elavil or Amitriptyline is also used for treating nerve pain such as peripheral neuropathy, prosthetic neuralgia, eating disorder such as bulimia, prevent migraine headache, etc.
Generic Elavil or Amitriptyline is manufactured by different Pharmaceutical companies and is available under trade names such as Endep, Levate, etc.
Generic Elavil or Amitriptyline contain amitriptyline HCL as active ingredient that is chemically known as 3-(10,11-dihydro-5H-dibenzo [a,d] cycloheptene-5-ylidene)-N,N-dimethyl-1-propanamine hydrochloride. This has a empirical formula of C20H23N·HCl and 313.87 is its molecular weight.
This appears as white, odourless and crystalline substance that is soluble in water.
The various inactive ingredients present in the medicine include calcium phosphate, cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, lactose, magnesium stearate, starch, stearic acid, talc, titanium dioxide, etc.
Mechanism of action:
Generic Elavil or Amitriptyline works by increasing the level of neurotransmitter in the body. Therefore, the medicine improves the mood of the patient thus they feel positive for the life and lead healthy life style.
Write Your Own Review
The dose for generic Elavil or Amitriptyline varies from 40-150 mg to be given daily in divided dose to the patient. Initially, the patient should be given low dose and based on the condition of the patient; the dose can be increased slowly. The patient can take medicine with food or without food.
The patient, if misses their dose should take as soon as remembered. However if it is time for scheduled dose, then they should skip the miss dose. Never take the double dose of the medicine.
Generic Elavil or Amitriptyline if taken in excess amount can lead to serious health problem. If such condition occurs with the patient then they should contact their doctor as soon as possible.
Generic Elavil or Amitriptyline should be stored at room temperature. The medicine should not be stored above the temperature of 30 degree centigrade in any condition else the medicine will lose its effective result. This medicine should be stored in a tight and light resistant container. It should be kept at a safe place where child should not reach.
The patient might suffer from various side effects after using this medicine such as:
- Fast heart rate
- Blurred vision
- Retention of urine
- Dry mouth
- Low blood pressure
- Gain/loss in weight
Some of the medicine that might interact with generic Elavil or Amitriptyline includes:
- Before taking generic Elavil or Amitriptyline, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to the medicine.
- Some patient might suffer from allergic reaction after the intake of this medicine due to the inactive ingredient present in it. Therefore, the patient should check the entire ingredient properly before using it.
- Prior taking medicine, if the patient is having any medical history of problem such as bleeding, breathing, liver, urination, heart attack, hyperthyroidism, etc.
- Since the drug makes the patient feel dizzy, then should avoid work that requires alertness.
- The patient should avoid the intake of alcoholic beverages while taking the medicine.
- Before taking generic Elavil or Amitriptyline, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are using any prescribed, non-prescribed or any herbal product.
- The skin of the patient might become sensitive to sun when taking this medicine. Therefore, the patient should avoid the prolong exposure to the sun and should use sun glasses, etc.
- Breast-feeding and pregnant patient should contact to the doctor before taking this medicine else it affect the health of the infant.