What is the mechanism of action of Avanafil?
Avanafil is a Phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE5) inhibitor which is more selective than other drugs of this category. Avanafil selectively blocks the action of the Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) which degrades cGMP in the penile tissue (corpus cavernosum). During sexual stimulation, erection occurs due to increased blood flow to the penis. It occurs as a result of relaxation of penile blood vessels and smooth muscles of the corpus cavernosum. Nerve terminals and endothelial cells release nitric oxide which triggers the production of cGMP in smooth muscle cells. Cyclic GMP causes smooth muscle relaxation and increased blood flow into the penile tissue. By inhibiting PDE5 Avanafil augments the action of cGMP.
What are the indicated uses of Avanafil?
Avanafil is a latest medicine for treating erectile dysfunction in males caused by stress, diabetes, other medicines etc. Its onset on action is much faster than other PDE5 inhibitors.
What are the doses of Avanafil?
Treatment should be started with a dose of 100 mg a day. It should be taken orally with or without food about 30 minutes before love making. The dose can vary between a range of 50 mg to 200 mg depending upon the efficacy and ease of tolerance of the patient. Always start with minimum effective dose. It should be used only once a day.
What to do in case of missing a dose?
This medicine is meant to administer only before intercourse which nullify the chances of skipping the dose.
What are the side effects associated with Avanafil?
Avanafil is well tolerated and safer drug than other PDE5 inhibitors. Common side effects are: headache, flushing, back pain, nasal congestion, and dizziness. These are normal and do not require medical attention.
Less than 1% of patients taking Avanafil have shown side effects like:
1. Body — fatigue, swelling of limbs
2. Heart related — pain in the chest, palpitations
3. Digestive system — pain in stomach, increased or decreased blood glucose levels, vomiting
4. Musculoskeletal system— myalgia (pain in muscles), muscle spasms, pain in extremity
5. Nervous system — depression, vertigo, lack of sleep (insomnia)
6. Respiratory system — cough, difficulty in breathing, epistaxis (bleeding from nose), wheezing
7. Skin – pruritus
8. Urogenital system– blood in urine, erection increased for more than 4 hours, kidney stones, urinary tract infection
What are the contraindications with the use of Avanafil?
1. Concomitant use of nitrates in any form of is not advisable with Avanafil. It can lead to severe hypotension because of the synergistic vasodilator effect of nitric oxide and Avanafil.
2. Use of Avanafil is highly contraindicated in patients having hypersensitivity to Avanafil or any other component of the tablet
3. This tablet is not to be meant for female use.
4. Alcohol use is prohibited with Avanafil or any other PDE5 inhibitors because it can bring on severe lowering of blood pressure.
What precautionary measures should be followed while using Avanafil?
1. Use it only in the doses prescribed by the doctor, do not increase or decrease the dose without consultation of a doctor.
2. Do not use nitrates with Avanafil. In case if the administration of nitrates is medically necessary then there should be at least a gap of 12 hours between the two.
3. If you are using alpha blockers then, start with a low dose that is 50 mg of Avanafil.
4. Do not repeat the dose of Avanafil within 24 hours. It can lead to harmful overdosing.
5. If you are already using any other medicines for ED do not use Avanafil.
What to do in case of over dosage with Avanafil?
If Avanafil is taken at a dose of 800 mg or more the case should be treated immediately. It can be serious, so without any delay seek emergency medical attention.
What are the drug interactions with Avanafil?
Administering of two or more medicines together can produce some unwanted effect, can diminish or accelerate the action of other medicine. Always discuss with your doctor before using numerous medicines together. Avanafil shows drug interaction with:
1. Alpha-Blockers for example prazocin, doxazocin.
2. CYP3A4 Inhibitors for example ketoconazole, ritonavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, nelfinavir, saquinavir and telithromycin.
3. Antihypertensive for example amlodipine, enalapril.
4. Other PDE5 inhibitors like sildenafil, tadalafil, verdenafil.
5. HIV protease inhibitors for example ritonavir
How to store Avanafil?
It should be stored in a cool and dry place away from the reach of children and pets. Always check the expiry date before use. Do not flush the medicine.