Sildenafil citrate is used to treating erectile dysfunction and pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). It works by inhibiting the enzyme, (cGMP) cyclic guanosine monophosphate-specific phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5). This enzyme works by promoting degradation of cGMP that regulates blood flow in the penis. The erection process is accompanied with sexual stimulation that releases nitric oxide into the penis. It reacts inside penis and form an enzyme cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP). It loosens and relaxes the arterial wall of the penis and thus, erection is created. Once the artery of the penis becomes loose, it helps in easy engorgement of blood. The arteries are swollen, an erection is created.
Another enzyme called phosphodiesterase-5 is also present in the penis that helps in achieving erection. This enzyme degrades and reduces cyclic guanosine monophosphate within penis. This degradation is essential; else there will be constant erection.
Sildenafil citrate should be stored at room temperature between 15-30 degree centigrade. The medicine should be protected from light and moisture. This medicine should be kept at such a place where pet and child should not reach. The patient should check the expiry date of the medicine before using it.
Chemically, sildenafil citrate is designated as 1-[[3-(6,7-dihydro-1-methyl-7-oxo-3-propyl-1H pyrazolo[4,3-d]pyrimidin-5-yl)-4-ethoxyphenyl]sulfonyl]-4-methylpiperazine citrate. This appears as white to off-white crystalline powder and has a molecular weight of 666.7.
The medicine contains various inactive ingredients such as microcrystalline cellulose, anhydrous dibasic calcium phosphate, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide, lactose, triacetin, and FD & C Blue #2 aluminium lake.
Sildenafil citrate is available under the brand name of Viagra, Revatio, etc. is a very powerful drug. This medicine was developed and marketed by a United States based pharmaceutical company, Pfizer.
Write Your Own Review
Sildenafil citrate should be given 50 mg to the patient only when needed. Based on the requirement of the patient, the dose can be increased to 100 mg or decreased to 25 mg.
The patient can take this medicine orally. This medicine should be taken by the patient at least an hour before the physical intercourse.
Some of the side effects that the patient might suffer after intake of this medicine include:
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision
- Colour blindness
- Pain in chest
- High cholesterol or blood pressure
- Before taking the medicine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to this medicine.
- Some patient might suffer from allergic reaction due to inactive ingredient present in it. Therefore, the patient should give proper care during the intake of medicine.
- In case, the patient has any medical history then they should tell to the doctor before taking the medicine.
- If the patient is taking any prescribed, non-prescribed or herbal product then they should tell to the doctor.
- If the patient is having deformed penis such as cavernosal fibrosis, Peyronie’s disease, blood cell problem such as leukemia, myeloma, sickle cell anaemia or any other problem that can increase the risk of prolonged erection then they should tell to the doctor.
- Sildenafil citrate does not provide protection from the transmission of sexually transmitted disease such as HIV, Hepatitis B, syphilis, etc. Therefore, care should be taken for this.