Generic Cosopt is used to treat certain type of glaucoma and high pressure inside the eye. It contains two medicine namely; dorzolamide and timolol. Dorzolamide belong to the class of medicine known as carbonic anhydrase inhibitors whereas Timolol belongs to beta blocker group of medicines. When both medicines are used together, they decreases the pressure inside the eye in patient suffering from open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Generic Cosopt helps in reducing the construction of fluid in the eye. This helps in decreasing the pressure in the eye.
In other words, generic Cosopt is used for the treatment of high pressure inside the eye due to open-angle glaucoma and ocular hypertension. Lowering high pressure inside the eye helps in preventing blindness.
Generic Cosopt functions by decreasing the amount of fluid within the eye. It is available in the market under various trade name and is supplied by Merck, a pharmaceutical company. FDA has approved this medicine in April 1998.
Chemically, dorzolamide hydrochloride is known as (4S-trans)-4-(ethylamino)-5,6-dihydro-6-methyl-4H-thieno[2,3-b]thiopyran-2-sulfonamide 7,7-dioxide monohydrochloride. This has an empirical formula of C10H16N2O4S3•HCl and molecular weight as 360.91. It appears as white to off-white in colour that is crystalline powder. This is soluble in water, methanol and ethanol.
On the other hand, timolol maleate is designated as (-)-1-(tert-butylamino)-3-[(4-morpholino-1,2,5-thiadiazol-3-yl)oxy]-2-propanol maleate (1:1) (salt). It has a molecular weight of 432.50 and molecular formula as C13H24N4O3S•C4H4O4. This is white, odourless and crystalline powder in appearance that is soluble in water, methanol and alcohol. It is stable at room temperature.
Generic Cosopt contains various inactive ingredients such as sodium citrate sodium hydroxide, mannitol, hydroxy methyl cellulose, water for injection, etc. It also contains benzalkonium chloride as preservative.
Generic Cosopt should be stored at room temperature. It should be protected from heat, light, moisture and dampness. The medicine should be kept at such a place where child and pet should not reach easily.
The patient should not miss their dose for better and effective result. In case, they miss the dose, they should use as soon as it is remembered. However, if it is time for the next dose then they should skip the missed dose and take the regular scheduled dose. In any case, double dose for medicine to make up for the missed dose is not recommended.
Furthermore, the use of excess medicine, thinking that it will cure the problem quickly, is not advisable. The patient might suffer from serious health problem due to overdose of the medicine.
Write Your Own Review
Generic Cosopt should be used one drop in the affected eye, two times in a day. The patient should not touch the tip of the dropper as it might lead to contamination of the medicine.
Generic Cosopt might lead to side effects in some of the patient. However, the immune system varies from one person to the other. Therefore, some patient might not suffer any side effect while few patients might get side effect. Some of the side effects are:
- Watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- Itching of eye
- Dry eyes
- Unusual taste in the mouth
- Change in mood
- Muscle weakness
- Numbness in hands/feet
- Pain in abdomen
- Persistent sore throat
- Blood in urine
- Trouble in breathing
- Chest pain
- Loss or gain in weight
- Prior using the medicine, the patient, if has any allergy with this medicine or any other allergy, should reveal to the doctor.
- The inactive ingredient present in the medicine might also cause allergy in some patient. Care should be taken properly by the user.
- If the patient has any medical record of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, irregular heartbeat, heart disease, heart failure, kidney stone, kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, muscle weakness disorder, overactive thyroid disease, low flow of blood to the brain, then they should tell to the doctor before using it.
- If the patient develops any eye infection or injury, then they should consult to the doctor if they can continue using the current bottle or need to change.
- In case of diabetic patient, the medicine might prevent fast heartbeat that is generally felt during low blood sugar level. Care should be taken for the same.
Nursing patient and pregnant patient should consult to the doctor before using this medicine and should also discuss the risk and benefit of using the medicine.