Imatib is an oral anticancer drug for the cure of chronic myeloid leukaemia and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. It belongs to the class of kinase inhibitor. It acts by preventing tumours from glowing by inhibiting the action of proteins that control cell division, growth and survival. These proteins are available in larger quantity are active in cancer cells. By inhibiting the activity of these proteins, growth of cancerous cell are reduced.
Imatinib is prescribed for the cure of Philadelphia chromosome positive, chronic myeloid leukaemia, myeloproleferative or Myelodysplastic diseases; mastocytosis; hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and/or chronic eosinophilia leukaemia (CEL); dermatofibrosarcoma protuberant; and gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GIST)
In some states this drug is harmful for the patients, these states are mentioned below:
• This drug is harmful to the foetus so this medication is not prescribed to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.
• If the patient is hypersensitive with any element present in this drug then no need to consume it.
• Do not meet any patient who is suffering from any cold.
• This drug is also contraindicated in those patients who are consuming any herbal drugs or any other medicine.
• Do not consume this medicine if you are suffering from the anaemia, fluid retention, and heart and kidney disorder.
Drug interactions shown by Imatib are
- Antidepressant like Nefazodone and antibiotics like erythromycin.
- Anti-fungal drugs like ketoconazole and HIV drugs like Indinavir,
- Anti-seizure drugs like carbamazepine and TB drugs like rifampin
- The steroid drug like dexamethasone and St. John’s wort
- Immunosuppressive drugs like cyclosporine and pain killers like acetaminophen
- Migraine headache treatments like ergotamine and calcium channel blockers like amlodipine
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs like simvastatin and Anti-anxiety or insomnia drugs like alprazolam.
- Anti-coagulant drug like Warfarin and Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin,
Write Your Own Review
The recommended dose of Imatib is one tablet twice a day with a glass of water. You can take this drug with a meal. You have to take this drug daily at a same time.
If you have missed your dose take it as soon as you remember. But if their times just near your next dose skip the missed dose and follow your regular dosing. Do not take double dose to make up the missed one.
Overdose of anticancer drug may cause serious health problem. If you feel any of the symptoms of anticancer drug Seek immediate medical help.
Some of the common adverse effects of this tablet are mentioned below feeling sleepy, loss of appetite, sweating at night, runny nose, changes taste, headache, dry skin, stomach ache, muscle ache, weakness, change in stool colour, vomiting, swelling in feet, ankles, dark circles, dark urine colour, pale skin and eyes, change in speech,
Some of the rare side effects are Anxiety, joint pain, sore throat, insomnia, faintness, excess bleeding, irregular breathing, itching, redness, chill fever, weight loss.