Generic Luvox or Fluvoxamine is a medicine that belongs to the class of drug known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
Other medicine of same class includes:
- Fluoxetine (Prozac0
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Paroxetine (Paxil)
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor is known to affect neurotransmitter, a chemical that is used by nerve in the brain for communication between each other. This neurotransmitter is released by the nerve. They travel across the spaces between nerves and then attach to receptors on other nerves. Any imbalance in the neurotransmitter results in depression and various other psychiatric disorders.
The medicine is used to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder and major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, panic disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.
The medicine works by the inhibition of uptake of serotonin (a neurotransmitter), from the spaces between the nerve cells and then is released. Hence, serotonin is available in large amount in the spaces for the attachment to the other nerves and therefore stimulates them.
Generic Luvox or Fluvoxamine functions by restoring the balance of neurotransmitter such as serotonin that is present in the brain.
For the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder, the medicine got approval from FDA in December 1994.
Generic Luvox is manufactured by various Companies under different trade name such as Floxyfral, Fevarin, Fluvoxamine, etc.
Generic Luvox contain fluvoxamine maleate as active ingredient that is chemically known as 5-methoxy-4'-(trifluoromethyl) valerophenone-(E)-O-(2-aminoethyl)oxime maleate (1:1). This has a molecular weight of 434.41 and an empirical formula as C15H21O2N2F3•C4H4O4.
It appears as white to off-white in colour that is odourless and crystalline powder in appearance. This is soluble in water, ethyl alcohol, chloroform and insoluble in diethyl ether. Generic Luvox contains various inactive ingredients such as carnauba wax, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, mannitol, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, pregelatinized starch (potato), silicon dioxide, sodium stearyl fumarate, starch (corn), titanium dioxide, etc.
If the patient misses any dose then they should take it as soon as they remember about it. In case, it is time for next regular dose, then they should skip the missed dose. In any case, the patient should not take double dose.
The patient, if take overdose of the medicine, then they should contact their health care provider or medical advisor.
Generic Luvox should be stored at room temperature. It should be protected from light and moisture. The medicine should not be stored in bathroom. It should be kept away from the reach of child and pet.
Write Your Own Review
Based on the condition of the patient, the dose of medicine should be decided for the patient. The initial dose should be 50 mg and later on can be increased based on the requirement of the body. The maximum dose should not exceed more than 300 mg.
The various side effects that the patient might suffer after using generic Luvox are:
- Decreased appetite
- Dry mouth
- Sexual dysfunction
- Abnormal bleeding
- Before taking generic Luvox, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to this medicine or any other medicine.
- The inactive ingredient might also lead to allergic reaction in some of the patient. Therefore, proper precaution should be taken by the patient.
- In case, the patient have any medical record of manic-depressive disorder, liver problem, seizure, low sodium in the blood, intestinal ulcer, peptic ulcer disease, bleeding problem, etc.
- The medicine makes the patient feel dizzy. Therefore, the patient should avoid the work that needs alertness.
- The patient should avoid intake of alcohol and alcoholic beverages during the treatment with this medicine.
- If the patient is taking any prescribed or non-prescribed medicine, then they should tell to the doctor before taking this medicine.
- Pregnant and breast-feeding patient should consult to the doctor for using the medicine.