In the form of a nasal spray this synthetic corticosteroid helps patients to relieve inflammation reactions due to allergies in the nasal passages. In such condition patient suffers from allergic rhinitis, hay fever and other variety of annoying symptoms such as runny, itchy or blocked nose, and sinus discomfort. The root cause for all these symptoms is inflammation in the nasal passages, which develops when the foreign particles or allergens for example, dust mites or pollens, enters into the nasal cavity. These allergens stimulate the nose cells to release certain chemicals that cause immune and hypersensitive reactions.
Nasonex nasal spray comes with Mometasone as active ingredient, which is a synthetic corticosteroid (or steroid).
Corticosteroids are the hormones naturally synthesized and secreted by the adrenal glands. This chemical has various vital tasks to do in proper functioning of the body which also include control of the inflammatory responses. When medicine is administered into the nasal holes using spray, it is absorbed by the inner the cells of the nasal passages. Nasonex starts to show its relieving effect by blocking these cells from releasing those substances that trigger the hypersensitive response. And, this is how the allergic reaction stops and the nasal inflammation is reduced and patient feels relieved.
» In most cases, Mometasone starts to heal the symptoms within 12 to 48 hours of the initial dose.
» Mometasone was approved by the FDA, in October 1997.
» This medication should be given with caution in pediatric patients. Females who are planning for baby or pregnant or breast feeding should also take this drug with caution.
» Nasal passage infection or sinuses
» Recent nasal surgery or any severe injury to the nose
» Lung tuberculosis
Most Common Side Effect
- Inflammation in the throat
- Irritation in the nose
- Tag along to your treatment for recommended duration.
- Inform your prescriber about your current health condition especially, if you have existing or history of any disease or long term illness.
- Inform your prescriber if you have any food allergies or hypersensitivities to any medicine.
- Use only the recommended dosages for a limited period of time, overdose or taking extra doses may interfere the ultimate target result of health gain.
- Keep your all medication away from moisture and direct sunlight. Store all medication at a cool, dry place and away from the reach of children and pets.
Write Your Own Review
Seasonal allergic rhinitis: Normally, adults and pediatric patients older than 12 years of age are recommended with 2 sprays per day in each nostril. It is good to use the drug same time each day. As you continue treatment and your symptoms are under control, you may be suggested to take reduced dose for example 1 spray into each nostril per day. If your symptoms do not controlled by the regular dose, you may be given higher dosages.
Pediatric patients between 3 to 11 years: This population may be gives 1 spray into each nostril daily till symptoms of seasonal allergy gets better or as suggested by your doctor.
Take your medication according to prescription and continue the treatment for the recommended duration. Taking extra dosages or overdose will not help to improve your symptoms fast but it can affect your overall recovery adversely.
Side effects are generally not occur and sometimes depends on patients overall health condition. Side effects are patient centric an affects different people in different ways. Some of the side effects associated with this drug are listed below:
Comparatively Common adverse reactions:
- Inflammation in the throat, known as pharyngitis
- Irritation in the nose
- Sore or ulcer in the nose
Rare adverse reactions:
- Perforation of the nasal septum
- Narrowing of the airways
- Shortness of breath
- Smell or taste disturbances
- Allergic reactions to the medication
- This medicine should be used with care and it intended to be used as a nasal spray and should never be used orally.
- Be caution while using spray and protect your eyes from the spray.
- The plastic cap or nozzle of this device needs to be cleaned regularly so that any remains should not stuck or block the medicine.
- The remaining spray is necessarily discarded in two months after seal break of the bottle, as it might be contaminated with dust or bacteria.
- Patients with following condition should use this drug with caution:
» Patient with nasal passage infection or sinuses and the infection is required to be medically treated.
» Patient with recent history of nasal surgery or any severe injury to the nose.
» Patients with lung tuberculosis.
» Pregnant women and mothers feeding an infant should use this nasal spray with caution.
- Drug should not be used in following conditions:
» This medicine is not recommended to be used in children younger than six years of age for managing allergies and for handling nasal polyps in pediatric patients younger than 18 years of age.
» This medicine is not a meaningful treatment in patients who are allergic to any of its ingredients. If you experience any allergic reaction, consult your doctor at the earliest and do not take the next dose without consulting your doctor.