In this dosage form Nicotine is made to bind with the resins and they are incorporated in the Gums. It is a pharmaceutical formulation which is used as assistance in smoking cessation. This formulation contains nicotine in its preparation. It is used as chewing gum. These are those agents who are known to work in such a way that they will oppose or discontinue the smoking of tobacco. This dosage form is used in Nicotine replacement therapy. Nicotine Replacement therapy is a treatment in which nicotine is released into the blood stream of addicted individuals into such a small level without passing tar and carbon monoxide.
NRT (Nicotine Replacement therapy) is available in many forms:
- Patches of Nicotine
- Nicotine chewing gums.
- Inhalators of nicotine – which looks like plastic cigarettes.
- Nicotine nasal sprays.
How this drug does acts?
This dosage form delivers the nicotine into the blood stream in a very little amount. This gives the impression to ease the withdrawal symptoms that an individual gets when he stops smoking(symptoms are: Anxiety, feeling of restlessness, severe headaches, a feeling of irritability, hunger, difficulty in focusing, or just feeling horrific).
In what dosage form it is available?
This dosage form should not be swallowed as a whole. Only chewing is allowed.
This gum is available in two strengths:
- Nicotine Polacrilex Gum of 4 mg strength: 4 mg of gum is prescribed for chain smoker, who smokes at least 20 cigarettes in a single day.
- Nicotine Polacrilex Gum of 2 mg strength: 2 mg of gum is prescribed for that smoker, who smokes less than 20 cigarettes in a single day.
Directions for Use: user instructions for proper use of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum along with each of its packages.
What are the indications of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum?
It is indicated as assistance for smoking cessation treatment.
What are different flavors of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum?
Variety of flavors of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum is as:
- Fruit chill.
- Extreme chill.
- Cinnamon surge.
- Fresh fruit.
Will this Nicotine Polacrilex Gum harm teeth of user by sticking?
Nicotine Polacrilex Gum is sugar free and harmless to user’s teeth. Nicotine Polacrilex Gum is less sticky than other chewing gums. It does not cause any harm. In case of any other complications related to teeth while using this, take advice of your Doctor.
What are the steps of using Nicotine Polacrilex Gum?
Steps of chewing Nicotine Polacrilex Gum are as follows:
- Mastication of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum should be slow, until its tastes become strong.
- The gum should be placed in between your cheeks and teeth.
- Its Nicotine gets released at a very slow pace. The absorption starts from oral region.
What are the contraindications of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum?
It is inadvisable in those patients who have following conditions:
- Kidney disorder.
- Diabetic patients.
- Pregnant or breast feeding ladies.
- Heart disorder.
What are the side effects caused by Nicotine Polacrilex Gum?
The side effects caused by Nicotine polacrilex gum are very exceptional. The few of them are mentioned as below:
- Sore throat.
- Feeling of Dizziness.
- Irritation in stomach.
What are the Drug Interactions of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum?
There are few which are known to interact with Nicotine Polacrilex Gum are:
(Below Mentioned list is not complete. Consult your doctor before taking Nicotine Polacrilex Gum).
Ask your physician before starting To Take This Medicament.
What precautions should be taken before having this medicine?
A Few points should be remembered before having this medicine:
- User should be above the age of 18 years.
- Don’t have your drink or food 15 minutes before chewing your medicament.
- Follow the instructions of your Physician, regarding the use of your product.
Where can I keep my Medicines?
This medicine is kept out of the reach of children and domestic animals. Protect it from light and moisture. The storage temperature should be 20 to 25°C.
What should be done in case of Missed Dose?
Maintain your daily dose schedule. In case of missed dose no need of taking double dose.
What should be done in case of Over Dose?
Consult your physician in case of over dosing.
Write Your Own Review
Generic Nicorette should be chewed for 30 minutes slowly. If required, a second gum can be taken by the patient after 60 minutes of the first.
Continuously, the patient should not chew the gum else they might land up in some serious health issues such as nausea, etc.
The patient should not eat or drink anything for at least 15 minutes of taking generic Nicorette.
Some of the side effects that the patient might suffer include:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Pain in chest
- Slurred speech
- Allergic reaction
- Problem in sleeping
- Problem in mouth, teeth
- Swelling in hand, ankle
- Before taking this medicine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to the medicine or if they have any other allergy. Sometimes, the inactive ingredient present in the tablet might also cause allergic reaction in some of the patient.
- Furthermore, if the patient has any medical history of disease related to blood vessel, kidney, rise in blood pressure, peptic ulcer, etc. then they should tell to the doctor so that the doctor can adjust the dose accordingly.
- In case, the patient has any medical record of heart attack, irregular heartbeat, chest pain, etc. then they should reveal about this to the doctor before taking the medicine.
- The drug makes the patient feel dizzy. Therefore, the work that requires alertness such as machine operation, driving vehicle, etc. should be avoided by the patient.
- The medicine might pass to the breast milk of the patient and can harm the infant. Hence, before, using this medicine, the patient should consult to the doctor.