Generic Paxil or Paroxetine belong to the class of medicine known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
Other medicines of same class include:
The medicine is used to treat depression. It functions by affecting the neurotransmitter, a chemical that is used by nerves for communication with each other. Neurotransmitter is manufactured by the nerve and also released by the nerve. It travel to the nearby nerve and get attached to it. In this way, neurotransmitter is considered as the medium for the communication purpose. Serotonin is one neurotransmitter that is released by nerves in the brain. This serotonin either travel to the space that is present between the nerves or get attached to the receptors found on the surface of the surrounding nerves. However, it can also get attached to the receptor on the surface of the nerve that produced it. Later, this is taken by the nerve and is released again. This process is known as reuptake.
Depression occurs due to the imbalance in among the neurotransmitter. The medicine works by preventing the reuptake of one neurotransmitter, serotonin, by nerve cells after it has been released.
For removing the released neurotransmitter, reuptaking is essential. This terminates the action of the adjacent nerves. Reduced reuptake increases free serotonin that stimulates the nerve cells in the brain. FDA has approved this medicine in December 1992. This was manufactured by the pharmaceutical company Smith Kline Beecham or GlaxoSmithKline.
Generic Paxil contains paroxetine hydrochloride as active ingredient that is chemically designated as (-)-trans-4R-(4'-fluorophenyl)-3S-[(3',4'-methylenedioxyphenoxy) methyl] piperidine hydrochloride hemihydrate. This has an empirical formula of C19H20FNO3•HCl•1/2H2O whereas 374.8 is its molecular weight.
This appears as off-white in colour and is odourless. The various inactive ingredients present in this medicine include dibasic calcium phosphate dihydrate, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycols, polysorbate 80, sodium starch glycolate, titanium dioxide, etc.
In case the patient misses any dose, then they should take it as soon as it is remembered by them. However, if it is time for next scheduled dose, then they should skip the dose and take the regular dose. In any case, the patient should not take more medicine to make up for the missed dose.
Accidently, if the patient takes more medicine then they should contact to the doctor as soon as possible so as to avoid any unwanted reactions.
Generic Paxil should be store at a temperature that ranges from 15-30 degree centigrade. The medicine should be kept away from light and moisture. The patient should check the expiry date of the medicine before using it. The medicine should be kept away from the reach of kid and pet.
Write Your Own Review
Generic Paxil or Paroxetine might lead to various side effects such as:
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Increased blood pressure
- Sexual dysfunction
- Before taking Paxil, the patient, if allergic to this medicine, should tell to the doctor.
- Sometimes, the inactive ingredients might also lead to allergic reaction. Hence, the patient should properly check the entire ingredient before using the medicine.
- If the patient has any medical history of manic-depressive disorder, liver problem, kidney problem, seizure, intestinal ulcer, peptic ulcer, bleeding problem, glaucoma, bleeding problem, then they should reveal about this to the doctor.
- The drug makes the patient feel dizzy. Hence, the patient should avoid work such as driving vehicle and machine operation.
- Since the medicine might pass to the breast milk of the patient and can harm the infant. Such patient should contact to the doctor before using this medicine.
- The patient should avoid taking alcohol during the intake of generic Paxil.