Peritrol (Cyproheptadine) is used to ease the symptoms of allergy such as runny nose, itchy and watery eyes. Drug has also shown its effectiveness to relieve the itchiness linked with some skin problems like rash, hives, dermatitis, eczema, mild reactions to insect and chickenpox. Further, PERITOL (CYPROHEPTADINE) is also indicated to manage migraines and headaches in patients who have not shown any improvement with other medicines.
Cyproheptadine hydrochloride is the active ingredient present in Peritol. Cyproheptadine is classified in the pharmacological class of medicines known as antihistamines.
It works by blocking H1-histamine receptors with its anti-serotonin properties to prevent and relieve allergy symptoms. Histamine is the chemical substances released by body which causes inflammation symptoms. This medication also exerts antipruritic, anticholinergic, and anti-exudative action. Because of Peritol (Cyproheptadine) sedative nature, it is also called antihistamine sedative.
This medication may also be used for various medical conditions other than allergies such as angioneurotic oedema (abnormal swelling on eyes, lips, tongue or throat), nettle rash (urticaria), chickenpox or eczema, migraine and vascular headaches under medical supervision. During pregnancy and breast feeding, this medication should be used with caution. Other than it, patient with liver, kidney or heart disorder should also take this drug with caution.
Allergies to the ingredients of drug
Most Common Side Effect
- Tag along to your treatment for recommended duration.
- Inform your prescriber about your current health condition especially, if you have existing or history of any disease or long term illness.
- Inform your prescriber if you have any food allergies or hypersensitivities to any medicine.
- Use only the recommended dosages for a limited period of time, overdose or taking extra doses may interfere the ultimate target result of health gain.
- Keep your all medication away from moisture and direct sunlight. Store all medication at a cool, dry place and away from the reach of children and pets.
Write Your Own Review
Always use medication exactly as your doctor has prescribed to you to get a meaningful and safe treatment. Normally, patients are recommended with following doses:
For adult patients: one 4 mg tablet to be taken three times in a day.
For Pediatric patients (7-14 years): one 4 mg tablet to be taken two or three times per day.
For Pediatric patients (2-6 years): one 2 mg tablet or half of 4 mg tablet two or three times per day.
Peritol (Cyproheptadine)can be taken before or after meals as you wish. Swallow your tablets with a drink of water.
Some common side effects that are reported in comparatively more cases in patients using Cyproheptadine:
Following side effects are reported in rare cases but they should not be ignored in any case if noticed:
- buzzing in the ears
- inability to sleep
- aggressive behavior
- stomach or bowel problems
- nausea, vomiting
- upset stomach
- increased or loss of appetite
- weight gain
- blurred vision
- dry mouth, nose and throat
- disturbed co-ordination
- tremor or shaking
- excessive perspiration
- early periods in women
You may not experience any of these while taking this treatment but you should know that these are alarming symptoms and you should not ignore any of them.
People with following medical conditions should take this drug with caution:
- Patient is pregnant, or trying to conceive, or nursing an infant.
- Patients diagnosed with problems in normal liver works, or suffering from any kidneys disorder.
- Patient is reported with any severe eye disease, such as glaucoma.
- Patient with prostate problems or patient is facing trouble in passing urine.
- Patient have blockage in small intestines.
- Patient is suffering from epilepsy or porphyria like blood disorder which is a rare inherited disease.
- Patient is already taking other medicines that may interact with this drug.
- Patient is allergic to medicine.
Other than the above, tag along to your prescription and do not take extra dosages in any case.
And, in case you do not notice any improvement in your symptoms, consult your doctor.