Generic Pristiq or Desvenlafaxine belong to the class of medicine known as selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.
Other medicines of the same class include:
The medicine works by affecting the neurotransmitter, the chemical that is used by the nerves within the brain make and also releases for communicating with each other. This neurotransmitter travel either travel across the space between the nerve and attach to the receptor on the surface of the surrounding nerves or get attached to the receptors found on the surface of the nerve that produces it and is taken up the nerve and finally released again.
Depression is result of the imbalance among the neurotransmitters. Both serotonin and norepinephrine are released by the nerve in the brain. The medicine functions by preventing the reuptake of serotonin and epinephrine by the nerve after it has been released. Since uptake is an important mechanism for removing released neurotransmitters and terminating their actions on adjacent nerves, the reduced uptake caused by generic Pristiq increases the effect of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain. FDA has approved generic Pristiq in February 2008.
There are various companies in the global market that manufacture this medicine and is available under the brand name such as Effexor and Efexor.
The various inactive ingredients present in the medicine include hypromellose, microcrystalline cellulose, talc, magnesium stearate, etc.
If the patient misses a dose of this medicine, then they should take it as soon as remember. However, by the time they remember about the medicine and if it’s time for the next dose, the patient should skip the dose and take the regular dose.
In case of overdose of the medicine, the patient should contact their medical advisor as soon as possible.
Generic Pristiq or Desvenlafaxine should be stored at a temperature that ranges form 20-25 degree centigrade. It should be kept away from the reach of the children. The medicine should be protected from light, moisture, heat and dampness as it might lower the effective action of the medicine.
Write Your Own Review
The patient can take the medicine with food or without food. In general, the patient should take 50 mg of this medicine daily. More than this dose should not be taken by the patient as it might lead to serious side effect in the patient.
Generic Pristiq or Desvenlafaxine might lead to side effects in some of the users after its intake such as:
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Sexual dysfnction
- Before taking generic Pristiq or Desvenlafaxine, the patient, if allergic to this medicine, should tell to the doctor before its intake.
- Sometimes, the inactive ingredient present in the medicine might also lead to allergic reaction in the users. Therefore, the patient should give proper care while taking the medicine.
- Before taking the medicine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they have medical history such as psychiatric disorder, bleeding problem, glaucoma, high blood pressure, heart problem, heart failure, chest pain, stroke, high cholesterol, kidney disease, liver disease, seizure disorder, low sodium in the blood, etc.
- The medicine makes the patient feel dizzy or drowsy and even lead to blurred vision. Hence, the user of the medicine should avoid the work that requires alertness.
- Before taking the medicine, the patient, if taking any herbal product, prescribed or non-prescribed medicine, then they should tell to the doctor.
- Avoid the intake of alcohol and alcoholic beverages during the treatment with this medicine.
- Nursing mother and pregnant patient should consult to the doctor and discuss the risk and benefit of using this medicine.