Generic Seroquel or Quetiapine is used orally for the treatment of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and is known as antipsychotic drug.
The medicine works by inhibiting the communication between nerves that are present in the brain. This is done by blockage of receptor on the nerves for various neurotransmitter. Neurotransmitters are chemical that is utilized by the nerves for communication purpose. It blocks the receptors such as dopamine type 2 and serotonin type 2 receptor.
The medicine functions by restoring the balance of neurotransmitter in the brain. FDA has approved this medicine in September 1997.
Generic Seroquel or Quetiapine decreases the hallucination and also improves the concentration. Therefore, the user of this medicine thinks positive for life. Not only this, the medicine prevents swings in the mood.
This antipsychotic medicine belongs to the class of medicine known as dibenzothiazepine derivative. It is chemically represented as 2-[2-(4-dibenzo [b,f] [1,4]thiazepin-11-yl-1-piperazinyl)ethoxy]-ethanol fumarate (2:1) (salt).
The active ingredient, quetiapine fumarate appears as white to off-white in colour and is crystalline powder like appearance. This has a molecular formula of C42H50N6O4S2•C4H4O4 and 883.11 is its molecular weight. It is soluble in water. The various inactive ingredients present in the medicine are povidone, dibasic dicalcium phosphate dihydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol and titanium dioxide.
In case, the patient misses their dose, then they should take it as soon as they remember about it. If it is time for next dose, then they should skip the missed dose and take the regular dose. In any case, the patient should not take double dose or extra dose to make up for the missed dose.
If the patient is suffering problem such as loss of consciousness, severe drowsiness, etc. then they should contact their doctor as soon as possible.
Generic Seroquel or Quetiapine should be stored at room temperature. It should be protected from light and moisture. The medicine should be kept away from pet and child. Before using the medicine, the patient should check the expiry date of the medicine.
Write Your Own Review
For treating bipolar disorder, 50 mg of the medicine, twice in a day should be given by the patient. This dose can be increased up to 400 mg per day based on the severity if the condition.
For treating schizophrenia, a dose of 25 mg twice in a day should be given initially to the patient. If required, the dose can be increased 150-750 mg per day.
For treating major depression, 150-300 mg per day of the medicine should be given to the patient.
The various side effects that the patient might get after the intake of this medicine include:
- Weight gain
- Upset stomach
- Rapid heart rate
- Excessive sweating
- Altered mental status
- Irregular blood pressure
- Prior taking Generic Seroquel or Quetiapine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to this medicine or any other medicine.
- The medicine contains various inactive ingredients that might cause allergic reaction to the patient. Hence, the patient should check the entire ingredient properly before its intake,
- Before using Generic Seroquel or Quetiapine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they have any medical history of eye cataract, liver disease, seizure disorder, low white blood cell count, difficulty in swallowing, etc.
- The patient should avoid the intake of alcohol or alcoholic beverage while using this medicine.
- The medicine makes the patient feel dizzy and even blurred vision. Therefore, the patient should not drive vehicle or operate machine unless they are sure for clear vision of themselves.
- During pregnancy, the medicine should be taken by the patient, if required, only after consulting with their doctor.