Sildenafil is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Penile erection is caused due to the engorgement of the penis with blood that occurs due to the blood vessels. These blood vessels are responsible for carrying blood to the penis and also Increases its supply. It is this blood vessel that takes away blood from the penis and decreases the removal of blood.
Sexual stimulation is known to produce and release nitric oxide in the penis. This nitric oxide activates the guanylate cyclase that causes the production of cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP). cGMP is responsible for erection by affecting the amount of the blood.
Sildenafil is also reduces the pressure in the pulmonary artery known as pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Generic Sildenafil is chemically known as -[[3-(6,7-dihydro-1-methyl-7-oxo-3-propyl-1H pyrazolo[4,3-d]pyrimidin-5-yl)-4-ethoxyphenyl]sulfonyl]-4-methylpiperazine citrate. This appears as white to off-white crystalline powder and has a molecular weight of 666.7.
In addition to this, the medicine contain various active ingredient present in it that include microcrystalline cellulose, anhydrous dibasic calcium phosphate, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, lactose, triacetin and FD &C Blue #2 Aluminium Lake.
Generic Sildenafil should be stored at a room temperature that lies between 15-30 degree centigrade. This medicine should be protected from heat, dampness, light and moisture. The medicine should be kept at a safe place.
Write Your Own Review
The patient should be taken 50 mg of the medicine at least one hour prior physical intercourse. Based on the response of the medicine and requirement of the patient, the dose can be further increased to 100 mg or decreased to 25 mg per day.
In case the patient takes overdose of the medicine then they should contact to the doctor as soon as possible.
The patient might suffer side effects after the intake of the medicine. However, it is not necessary that the entire patient will suffer. Some of the side effects experienced by the patient are:
- Trouble in sleeping
- Vision change
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain
- Painful or prolonged erection
- Allergic reaction
- Prior taking the medicine, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to this medicine or any ingredients of the medicine.
- Generic Sildenafil causes dizziness, faintness or blurred vision to the patient. Hence, the patient should avoid work that needs alertness.
- If the patient had suffered from problem associated with eye, blood vessel, bleeding, liver, kidney or pulmonary veno-occulsive disease, then they should tell to the doctor.
- If the patient has any medical history of heart attack, stroke, and life-threatening irregular heartbeat within 6 months, then they should reveal about this to the doctor before taking the medicine.
- The patient should get up slowly when getting up from lying or sitting position after long time as the drug makes the patient feel dizzy.
- In case, the patient has a history of prolonged or painful erection then they should tell to the doctor.
- If the patient is taking prescription or non-medicine then they should tell to the doctor.
- It does not provide protection against sexually transmitted disease such as HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B, gonorrhoea, etc.