Generic Timolol is known as beta-adrenergic blocking agent. The medicine is responsible for blocking the action of sympathestic nervous system, on heart. Additionally, it is also used for reducing the pressure within the eye that is known as intraocular pressure. This happens due to reduction in the production of liquid, aqueous humour, within the eye. Due to reduction in the intraocular pressure, risk of damaging optic nerve reduces and also loss of vision in patients with glaucoma. FDA has approved this generic medicine in 1978.
Generic Timolol should be stored at room temperature that varies from 15-30 degree centigrade. This medicine should be protected from direct light, heat and dampness. Such factors might destroy the effective action of the medicine. The patient should check the expiry date of the medicine before using it. It should be kept away from the reach of child and pet.
Generic Timolol contain timolol maleate as active ingredient that is chemically known as (-)-l-(tert-butylamino)-3- [(4-morpholino-l, 2, 5-thiadiazol-3-yl)oxy]-2-propanol maleate (1:1). This has a molecular weight of 432.50 and is stable at room temperature. It appears as white, odourless and crystalline powder and is soluble in water, methanol, alcohol, etc.
Generic Timolol also contains various inactive ingredients such as monobasic acid, dibasic sodium phosphate, sodium hydroxide, water for injection, etc. Benzalkonium chloride acts as preservative in this medicine.
Write Your Own Review
The patient should use one drop of generic Timolol eye drops twice in a day into the affected eyes. Before using the medicine, the patient should wash their hand properly. In order to avoid contamination, the tip of the dropper should not be touched by the user.
The immune system of the person varies from one other. Therefore, dose taken in same amount might cause side effect in some users while few remains unaffected from the side effects. Some of the side effects of generic Timolol Eye Drops are:
- Blurred vision
- Temporary burning
- Redness of eye
- Watery eyes
- Dry eyes
- Eye pain
- Slow/irregular heartbeat
- Vision change
- Muscle weakness
- Mood change
- Pain in hands/feet
- Trouble in breathing
- Sudden change in weight
- Chest pain
- Slurred speech
- Persistent dizziness
- Allergic reaction such as rash, severe dizziness, swelling of face/throat/tongue, etc.
- Before using generic Timolol eye drops, the patient should tell to the doctor if they are allergic to it or have any other allergies.
- The medicine contains various inactive ingredients that might also lead to allergic reaction. Proper care should be taken by the users.
- In case, the patient is suffering from lung disease, severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, irregular heartbeat, heart disease, etc. then they should tell to the doctor before using it.
- If the patient has any medical record of disease such as kidney, liver, diabetes, low blood flow to the brain, overactive thyroid disease, muscle weakness disorder, severe allergies, etc. then they should explain to the doctor prior using generic Timolol eye drops.
- The patient might get blurred vision after using this medicine. Therefore, driving vehicle, machine operation, etc. should be avoided by the user of this medicine.
- Pregnant patient and nursing patient should consult to the doctor and discuss the risk and benefit of using this medicine.