Generic Tofranil or Imipramine is known as antidepressant medicine that belong to the class of medicine known as tricyclic antidepressant or TCA. Depression can be defined as pervasive sense of sadness and gloom. Depression occurs when the level of neurotransmitter become abnormal. Neurotransmitters are chemical that is used by nerves in the brain for communication between each other.
Generic Tofranil or Imipramine is known to improve the mood by raising the level of neurotransmitter, present in the brain.
Generic Tofranil or Imipramine was first of all manufactured in late 1940s and FDA has approved this medicine for treating depression in 1959 and enuresis in 1973.
Generic Tofranil or Imipramine contain imipramine hydrochloride as active ingredient that is chemically designated as 5-3-(Dimethylamino)propyl-10,11-dihydro-5H-dibenz[b,f]-azepine monohydrochloride. This is whit to off-white in colour that appears as crystalline powder and is odourless. It is soluble in water, alcohol, acetone and insoluble in benzene and ether. The different inactive ingredients present in generic Tofranil include Calcium phosphate, cellulose compounds, docusate sodium, iron oxides, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, povidone, sodium starch glycolate, sucrose, talc, and titanium dioxide.
Mechanism of action:
Generic Tofranil functions by restoring the neurotransmitter such as norepinephrine that is present in the brain. To treating the problem of bedwetting, the medicine works by blocking the effect of acetylcholine (a natural substance) on the bladder.
Write Your Own Review
Generic Tofranil should be given 75-300 mg to the patient to treat the problem of depression. The patient can take the dose either as single dose or in divided dose.
The various side effects shown by the patient after the intake of generic Tofranil are:
- Increased heart rate
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain/loss
- Problem in urination
- Heart palpitation
- High/low blood pressure
- Heart attack
- Abnormal heart beat
The drugs that might interact with generic Tofranil include:
- Generic Tofranil might lead to drowsiness. Therefore, the patient should take this medicine with proper caution.
- When the patient is taking generic Tofranil, then they should not drink alcohol else it might increase the chances of side effect.
- To reduce the chances of light-headedness, the patient should get up slowly when sitting or lying from long time.
- To avoid the chances of heatstroke, the patient should avoid long exposure to sunlight or hot weather.
- If the patient has any medical record of any disease then they should reveal about this to the doctor before using this medicine.
- Prior taking the medicine, the patient should tell to the doctor in case they are allergic to this medicine or any other medicine.
- Nursing patient or pregnant patient should consult to the doctor r and discuss the risk and benefit of using this medicine.